Clonakilty v St. Nicks Report 10-05-14

Senior Football Championship Report 10-05-14-Clonakilty v St. Nicks

Clonakilty and St. Nicks clashed in the opening round of the 2014 county senior football championship in Brinny on Saturday evening, May 10th. On a dry and sunny but bitterly cold evening both teams took the filed with a lot to prove, following dismal league performances during the early season. The biting cold and near gale force wind blew across the field from West to East and was of no benefit to either side. Indeed, it made scoring very difficult. St. Nicks played into the roadside goal in the opening half and made a blistering start, scoring the first point from play inside twenty seconds. They followed with another similar score within a minute. Clon seemed shell-shocked and fell further behind to a pointed free in the third minute. Two minutes later the city side added a fourth point from a free and Clon looked to be in trouble.There was no further scoring until the twelfth minute, when St. Nicks pointed from play. Clon missed a few good opportunities and it was not until seventeen minutes had elapsed that they finally got on the scoreboard when a long ball into the goalmouth was won by Johnny Leahy and he rounded his marker in style before planting a low left footed shot into the net. Clon took huge encouragement from this score and came more into the game. Jack O Mahony, who was dangerous throughout, pointed from play on twenty two minutes and his brother, Barry, scored a fine point from play three minutes later, with the city side having pointed a free in between. Jack then added a really fine point from play a minute later and the Clon supporters were in fine voice as the half time whistle approached. There was time for one more score, a fine point from play by David O Regan, who was becoming more influential as the game went on. It was 1-04 to 0-06 at the break. Clon opened brightly on the resumption and after three minutes the outstanding Johnny Leahy scored a lovely point from out on the right, and at an acute angle, into the roadside goal. Two minutes later, after a free from Jack O Mahony had come back off the post, Pa O Sullivan found himself in possession twenty metres out and kicked over a fine point. David O Regan pointed from play after six minutes and it was all Clon now. Some chances were missed but a brilliant passing movement saw the ball transferred to Barry O Mahony, who crashed home a great goal after eleven minutes and this effectively ended the game as a contest. Clon grew in confidence and became more assured in possession. St. Nicke did finally get another score after fourteen minutes when they pointed a close-in free. Clon responed with a Leahy point from a free three minutes later. The same player added a great point from play on twenty minutes and, as the game fizzled out, St. Nicks scored another free before man-of-the-match, Leahy finished the scoring on twenty nine minutes with a point from a free. Clon were delighted to hear the final whistle sound. The win, which was richly deserved, guaranteed a place in the knock-out stages on the championship later in the year and also means that senior status has been preserved. It was great relief to all Clon supporters after a really disappointing start to the year. Now they can look forward with confidence to improved form from the team as the season progresses.

Team; Pa O Regan, Mark Sheehy, Finbarr Coughlan, Pa O Sullivan, Denis Murphy, Thomas Clancy, Cian O Donovan, Timmy Anglin, Sean Nagle(capt), Gearoid Barry, Sean White, Jack O Mahony, David O Regan, Johnny Leahy and Barry O Mahony. No subs used!